Iwars have undertaken to collect recyclable waste from homes in Kenton from Tuesday 15 November 2016 and every subsequent Tuesday. This will continue until Ndlambe has trailers built which will be pulled behind their refuse truck. They will then collect household waste and recyclables at the same time. We will confirm when the trailers are available but we expect them to be ready by not later than 10 December 2016.
Please refer to the attached articles which give you more information about what should be recycled.
We encourage everyone to support this initiative as it reduces the amount of waste that Ndlambe will have to take to Port Alfred.
Remember recyclables must be put in clear bags which will be available at Spar, Kenton Garage and Build-It
RECYCLE & SAVE YOUR RANDS
After the recent closure of the Bushmans Dump recycling in our area has become imperative, and we need all Kenton residents on board. Waste is currently placed in a compactor truck - rendering it non-recyclable - and transported to the Port Alfred dump site. The additional costs of transporting waste will inevitably be passed onto ratepayers in the form of increased rates and taxes unless we join forces to support the war against waste - reduce, reuse and recycle.
By supporting the IWARS (Integrated Waste & Recycling Services) recycling initiative we all have an opportunity to do something “green” instead of simply talking about it. If everyone is recycling properly we can retrieve up to 80% of the waste from households, which means only 20% will be transported to the Port Alfred landfill.
Recycling is a simple daily environmentally friendly activity, which reduces pollution and contributes to the economy as it conserves resources and energy, saves money, creates jobs and even generates revenue.
Recycling creates a closed-loop system where unwanted products are returned back to manufacturers for use in new products.
Benefits of Recycling
- Reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators
- Conserves natural resources such as timber, water, and minerals
- Prevents pollution by reducing the need to collect new raw materials
- Saves energy
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global climate change
- Helps sustain the environment for future generations
- Helps create jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries
- Recycling contributes to the economy as it conserves resources and saves money, creates jobs and even generates revenue!
WHAT TO RECYCLE
- Cans – Drink cans, food tins
- Cardboard – Cereal and other food boxes, long life milk and custard boxes, juice boxes, egg cartons.
- Plastic – Milk sachets, plastic bags, detergent bottles, yogurt containers, fruit & vegetable containers.
- Paper – White paper only, office paper, mail, shredded paper.
- PET Bottles – Beverage bottles, milk bottles.
- Newspapers & Magazines – Including inserts and brochures, telephone books.
- Glass – Bottles and jars, (no lids), may only be placed in the glass skip that has been placed in the municipal yard near the library, or sold to IWARS in the Bushmans Industrial Area.
- Garden Refuse - contact W.O.T. Compost (082 372 2697), or take to the chipper just past Build-It at Bushmans Industrial area, operating hours: Monday-Saturday: 08:00-16:30.
WHAT NOT TO RECYCLE
- Polystyrene, un-cleaned waste.
HOW TO RECYCLE
- Clean sorted waste can be sold for cash (excluding newspapers) at the IWARS warehouse in the Bushmans Industrial Area, or donated at the Kenton-on-Sea Spar car park at the IWARS container.
- Glass may only be placed in the glass skip that has been placed in the municipal yard near the library.
- Place all your unsorted recyclables in a clear bag on the pavement to be collected on Tuesdays, (until further notice). Please only use clear bags - these are available from the recycling container in the Spar Car Park at R1 a bag, (sold in packets of 20), and are also for sale at Spar, the Kenton Garage and Build It in Bushmans Industrial Area.
RECYCLING BUY BACK CENTRES
- Kenton-on-Sea, Spar car park; IWARS Bushmans; Operating hours: Monday-Friday: 08:00-17:00; Saturday 08:00-13:00
For more information and/or queries contact Kevin Lee from IWARS on 079 987 5878