We seem to be in a bit of a building boom in Kenton at the moment; which, considering the state of the nation, must say something for our quiet and peaceful sanctuary!
However, for those who live here, what it does say is NOISE! And lots of if! Not that we really mind, as growth is good for the economy and the sustainability of our village by the sea. The trouble is that it goes on and on and doesn’t stop – not even on a Sunday!
We have received many complaints of excessive noise from building operations over weekends and even early in the morning. This includes hammering, electric saws, angle grinders and machinery, such as concrete mixers and earth-moving equipment.
The Ndlambe Public Nuisance By-Laws prohibit any person from:
- disturbing the comfort, peace or quiet of other people by the use of electrical appliances or machinery; and
- at any time disturbing the public peace by making unseemly noises in any manner whatsoever
So what can we do about it? How can we make the builders stop for just one day a week so we can have a peaceful Sunday?
- Request the offenders to desist – if they don’t
- Lay a charge with the police “contravention of Section 3 of the Ndlambe Prevention of Public Nuisance and Keeping of Animals By-Law.”
- Use our collective voice to encourage Ndlambe to ban building noise on a Sunday
What do you think? Your comments please.
KOSRA WORKING FOR YOU!